1 hour | 6 servings
- 6 potatoes
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 8 oz. shredded vegan cheddar cheese (try Follow Your Heart brand)
- 1/8 c soy bacon bits (try Bac-Os)
- 4 Tbsp thinly sliced scallions
- Soy sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
2. Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake until soft, approximately 30-45 minutes.
3. Remove from microwave and cut in half vertically. Scoop out the inside, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell.
4. Heat oil to 365°F in a deep fryer or a deep saucepan. Fry potato shells for 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. Fill potato shells with the "cheese" and soy bacon bits. Arrange on prepared baking pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the "cheese" has melted.
6. Top with sliced scallions and the soy sour cream, if desired.
About the author
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming and encourage a new awareness and understanding about farm animals. Today, Farm Sanctuary is the nation’s largest and most effective farm animal rescue and protection organization. Visit farmsanctuary.org for more information