Hot Cross Buns
The following recipe has a subtle sweetness from the hint of cinnamon and the icing cross. You can add currants or raisins if desired.
This recipe makes 28-36 buns.
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 Tbsp yeast dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 4 – 4 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup raisins or currants (optional)
- Mix the sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add the butter and the milk and let the mixture cool.
- Stir in the beaten egg and the yeast/water mixture.
- Add flour until the dough can be easily handled.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface.
- Cover it with a mixing bowl and let it rest for ten minutes.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth, then place it in a greased bowl.
- Cover it and let it rise for 1 ½ hours.
- Punch down the dough.
- Let it rise for fifteen minutes.
- Form the dough into 1 ¾-inch balls.
- Place them in a greased pan.
- Cover the balls and let them rise for forty minutes.
- Bake them at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes until they are light golden brown.
- Decorate the buns with an icing cross made with a Powdered Sugar Glaze