From Healthy Jewish Kitchen by Paula Shoyer ($24.95, Sterling Epicure, November 2017)
- 1/2 c plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 c white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 c whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/2 c water
- Honey for drizzling (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 c light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 Tbsp ground almonds
- To make dough, place all-purpose flour, white whole-wheat flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, salt, oil, and water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix with a dough hook attachment, or by hand, until mixture comes together into a ball. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature.
- To prepare filling, heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add coconut oil, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir. Add apples to pan and cook them, stirring often, for about 6 to 8 minutes, until apples are fork-tender. Place mixture into a bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes. Add ground almonds and mix well.
- When dough is ready, preheat oven to 375°. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Cut off a large piece of parchment paper and sprinkle it with some all-purpose flour. Roll out a piece of dough into a rectangle about 8x14 inches, lifting dough a few times to add more flour underneath it. Place a third of filling down length of dough, 2 inches from edge. Fold in right and left sides (the short sides) about 1 inch from edge. Roll long end of dough (with filling), into a tight, long log. Place it on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan lined with parchment. Repeat same steps to make 2 other logs.
- Bake strudel for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is lightly browned, and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with a drizzle of honey over top, if desired.
This recipe may be made 2 days in advance. You may want to rewarm the strudel after the first day.
Per serving: 189 Calories, 3 g Protein, 28 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 8 g Total fat (3 g sat), 50 mg Sodium, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), E, Phosphorus