1 cup milk
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
1) Pour 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan and cook over low heat until bubbly.
2) Stir in basil leaves, and remove from heat.
3) Cover and let stand at room temp.
4) Place basil mixture in a blender until smooth.
5) Strain into a bowl. Set aside.
6) Pour 1/2 cup milk, whipping cream, and 1/4 cup sugar in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often. As soon as mixture gets bubbly remove from heat.
7) Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until thick and pale.
8) Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
9) Stir in basil mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,until mixture thickens and coats a spoon.
10) Cover and freeze until firm - stir every 30 to 45 minutes
Tip: If you plan to use an ice cream maker, cover the mixture and chill for four hours prior to placing in the appliance.
Per Serving Calories: 177 Fat: 12.6g Carbohydrate: 14.9g (dietary fiber: 0.1g sugars: 14.1g) Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 69.4g Sodium: 80.7g