Shortcake Biscuits with Berries
20 minutes prep time | Serves 8
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1 pt fresh blueberries
- 1/4 c orange juice
- Sugar (to taste)
- 11/2 c unbleached white flour
- 1/2 c whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 to 4 Tbsp sugar for biscuits
- 2 Tbsp butter, cold and cut into small squares
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with oil spray. Set aside.
- Hull strawberries and slice into bowl. Add fresh blueberries. Mix in orange juice and sugar to taste. Set aside 30 to 60 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut butter and oil into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add milk all at once. Stir until it is just incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Form 8 biscuits by dropping well-rounded quarter cups onto cookie sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are done. (Use a toothpick to test centers). Cool on a wire rack.
- Use a serrated knife to slice off top third of each biscuit. Spoon berry mixture into biscuit. Lay top third of the biscuit on berries. Top with remaining berry mixture.
optional: Garnish with fresh whipped cream