SugarFree Pate Brisee Crust
- 1 ¼ c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Lite&Sweet
- ½ c (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ c ice water
- 7-8 medium-size apples (Cortlands, Empire, Braeburn or Golden Delicious)
- 1 lemon
- ½ c (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 c Lite&Sweet
- 3 Tbsp water
To Make Crust:
- Put flour, salt, and Lite&Sweet in bowl of a food processor, and pulse to combine.
- Add butter, and process for about 10 seconds, or just until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add ice water, tablespoon by tablespoon (1/4 cup), through the feed tube with machine running, just until the dough holds together without being wet or sticky.
- Test the dough by squeezing it together. If it is crumbly, add a bit more water. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap by using the rolling pin to flatten into disk. Chill until needed.
To Make Filling:
- Halve and core the apples. Set aside one half for the center of the tart. Quarter the rest of the fruit and transfer to a large bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the apple slices and set aside.
- In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, add butter and cook in medium-high heat until it starts to browns. Add Lite&Sweet and water to butter and bring the mixture to a boil, immediately reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 more minutes until the mixture begins to thicken and turn amber.
- Place reserved apple half in center of the skillet and decoratively arrange remaining apple slices with the cut side up in skillet around the center apple piece. Continue to layer the slices until the skillet is filled. (if fruit doesn’t fill the pan, tart will collapse when inverted).
- Return skillet to stove and cook over low heat for 20 minutes until syrup thickens and is reduced. Do not let the syrup burn. Remove from heat and let it cool.
To Make Tartin:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out crust to a 1/8 inch thick and place it over apples. Tuck edges inside skillet and trim any extra-long pieces.
- Bake tart 20 minutes, until pastry is light gold. Let cool on a rack for 15-20 minutes, then loosen the pastry from pan using a sharp knife. Place a serving dish or platter over the tart and quickly invert. Serve immediately with sugarfree whipping cream.
Variations: Substitute apples for pears or peaches. Peel the pears, peaches may be peeled or not, as desired.