- ¼ c coconut flour
- ¼ c cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- ¼ c honey
- 2 Tbsp almond milk (plain or vanilla)
- 1 ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Caramel Filling Ingredients:
- 1 c medjool dates, pitted and soaked in water for about 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp raw agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c sunflower seed butter
- ¼ c palm oil shortening
- ¼ c coconut manna, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, salt and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, coconut oil, honey, almond milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Add the dry ingredient to the wet and mix to combine into a smooth batter.
- Fill each of three round cake pans half way up, distributing the batter equally among the pans.
- Place pans on a cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool until ready to fill and layer. Once cool, invert cakes on a wire baking rack to release the pans.
- Place all ingredients into the bowl of your food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides.
- Using an offset spatula, spread filling to about ¼” thickness onto the flat side of 2 cakes, leaving about 1/4” from the outer edge of cake all around. Stack one on top of the other, and top with the last cake.
- Whip all ingredients in a mixing bowl with a hand blender until fluffy.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Whip again before frosting the cake.
I like to top my cake with raw unsweetened cacao nibs, you could also do toasted coconut flakes!