Make your own tach shells
Number of Servings:
10 (1 taco shell each)
From Livwise by Olivia Newton John ($27.50, Lyons Press, 2012)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 can (14 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- 10 taco shells
- 1/4 of a small iceberg lettuce head, shredded
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pit removed, and flesh diced
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded, membrane removed, and diced
- To make taco seasoning, combine all seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Store in an airtight container until needed. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for about 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well and then transfer to a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and then sprinkle over half of the taco seasoning. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Place beans, lemon juice, and remaining taco seasoning into a small saucepan over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until warmed through.
- Fill each shell with beans, potato, lettuce, tomato, carrot, avocado and pepper.