Grilled, baked and even barbecued, Mori-Nu Tofu cutlets have the texture of tender chicken cutlets. And they take on all the taste of your favorite marinade or barbecue sauce. Try these terrific tofu cutlet sandwiches.
1 package Mori-Nu Silken Extra Firm
1. Slice tofu lengthwise into 3 or 4 slices, at least 1/4 inch thick each.
2. Cover tofu with plastic wrap.
3. For convenience, slice and layer several blocks on a baking tray, covering each layer with plastic wrap.
4. Cover and freeze overnight.
5. There are a number of ways to thaw the frozen tofu cutlets. Remove from freezer and place in refrigerator overnight and they will be ready to marinate by morning (otherwise, place the tofu on a microwaveable tray and defrost for 1-2 minutes). Depending on the sauce used (see serving suggestions).
6. Marinate defrosted Mori-Nu Tofu cutlets for anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.
7. When defrosted bake, broil, barbecue, or even fry (lightly spray pan with canola or other vegetable oil spray).
Mediterranean Mori-Nu: Salt tofu. Marinate tofu in a mixture of balsamic vinegar and olive oil for about 3 hours. Sprinkle with dried basil. Grill tofu slices for 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve in warm pita; stuff with roasted vegetables such as eggplant with tomato slices and mayonnaise or soyannaise.
Teriyaki Mori-Nu: Use a commercial teriyaki preparation. Grill tofu slices 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve on whole-grain bun. Top with a blend of mayonnaise / teriyaki sauce, shredded lettuce, and pineapple chunks.
California Mori-Nu: Marinate tofu a few hours or overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, marjoram, chopped onion, and garlic powder. Grill tofu slices 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve on whole-wheat bun; top with soyannaise, avocado, sweet onion, tomato, and alfalfa sprouts. New American Mori-Nu: Marinate tofu a few hours or overnight in a mixture of shallots, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, honey, and olive oil. Grill 1-2 minutes each side. Serve in warm pita topped with a thick layer of soyannaise / cilantro, ripe tomato slices, chopped black olives, and red onion slices.