Enjoy this refreshing salad
From Fast Fresh + Simple by Hope Cohen ($27.95, Strawberryblonde Press, 2013)
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 red onion peeled, very thinly sliced, rinsed in cold water and drained*
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 c white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 11/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or as long as 24 hours. (4 to 6 hours is best.)
3. Adjust seasoning and serve well chilled.
* Rinsing raw onions in cold water tames their harshest flavors just enough to make them palatable when you are serving them raw. Place the sliced or chopped onion in a small strainer and rinse it well under cold running water, or place in a bowl of cold water, swirl it around, and then drain and rinse it in a small strainer.