From Best Lunch Box Ever by Katie Sullivan Morford ($24.95, Chronicle Books, 2013)
25 minutes prep time Makes 2 salads
What You Need for Salad
- 2 c chopped butter, red leaf, or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 c chopped tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 large ripe avocado, cubed
- 2 or 3 slices smoked turkey or baked tofu, coarsely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese (optional)
What You Need for Dressing
- 1 tsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
What You Do
- Divide lettuce between two large containers. In each container, arrange half the tomato, avocado, turkey, eggs, and blue cheese (if using) in rows on top of lettuce.
- To make dressing, divide soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil between two small containers. Put on lids and shake well.
Make-ahead notes: The salad and dressing can be made the night before and stored in the refrigerator, but wait until morning to cut and add the avocado. Be sure to give your child instructions for drizzling the dressing over the salad at lunchtime.