This recipe offers Tex-Mex sensibilities without fatty meat or the deep-fried shell. Your choices of cheese and oil will determine how spicy this hearty salad gets.
What You Need
- Sturdy mixed greens like romaine, spinach, and green-leaf lettuce
- Chopped carrots
- Black beans, rinsed
- Chopped low-fat jalapeno Cheddar, pepper Jack, or habanero cheese
- Chunked avocado (about a half per serving)
- Olive oil or hot-pepper-infused olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Layer the first five ingredients in a medium bowl or on a dinner plate.
2. Drizzle oil over salad, then the lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cumin
3. Serve with baked corn chips or tortillas for wrapping.
*Top with sliced, grilled chicken breast for a dinner entree.
** Trying to save money (and calories) by bringing your lunch to the office? Layer this salad in reverse order into a large glass storage jar. Add the lemon juice, oil, and salt and pepper before lightly packing the greens on top. Empty the jar into a bowl or onto corn tortillas you can fold before eating.
Did you see our other glass jar salad? A great healthy make-ahead lunch!