Number of Servings:
3 as an entree or 8 as a side dish
From Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin ($24.95, Harvard Common Press, 2012) Recipe © by Michael Natkin and used by permission of The Harvard Common Press.
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Half a red onion, finely diced
- Half an English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 jar roasted red or yellow peppers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine chickpeas, onion, cucumber, roasted peppers, feta, garlic, basil, lemon juice, and olive oil in a salad bowl. Toss well.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Depending on how salty your feta is, you might not need any salt.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate for up to a few hours.