30 minutes prep time | Serves 6
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tomato, seeded, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 c radish, chopped
- 1/4 c red onion, chopped
- 1/2 c dried fruit (apricots, raisins, dates, figs, or currants), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts, sesame seeds, or sunflower seeds, or chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans
- 3 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 c cooked (and cooled) brown rice, quinoa or wild rice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, gently mix bell pepper, tomato, radish, onion, dried fruit, nuts (or seeds), and cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the cooled rice or grain with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add to the vegetable mixture.
- In another bowl whisk together the lime juice, oil, and herbs. Drizzle over the salad and mix in lightly.
Per serving: 209 Calories, 8 g Protein, 36 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 4 g Total fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono, 1 g poly), 119 mg Sodium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, C, Calcium, Copper, Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc