From Eat Well Live Well by Karen Kingham
25 minutes prep time + setting time | Serves 4
What You Need
- 11/3 c low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 c coarse polenta
- 1/2 c finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 eggplants
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 51/2 oz button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 (14 oz) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Line 9-inch round cake pan with foil. Pour stock and 1 1/2 cups water into saucepan. Bring to boil. Add polenta in thin stream and stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and mixture is thick and comes away from side of pan.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese until it melts through polenta. Spread into pan, smoothing surface as much as possible. Refrigerate until set.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Heat oil in large saucepan and add onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add eggplant, pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally. Stir in vinegar. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to 9-inch pie dish, piling mixture up slightly in center. When polenta has set, turn it out of pan, peel off foil, and cut into 12 wedges. Arrange smooth side down, in single layer, over vegetables. Don’t worry about any gaps.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp.
Per serving: 405 Calories, 17 g Protein, 71 g Carbohydrates, 18 g Fiber, 9g Total fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono, 1 g poly), 293 mg Sodium, Vitamin C, Manganese, Molybdenum, Vitamin B6, Folate, Copper, Phosphorus, Vitamin A, B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), E, K, Pantothenic acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc