Recipe provided by: Itsy Bitsy Foodies
5 cups + chicken broth
3 cups water, optional
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 of an onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp bay leaves
1/4 tsp basil
Roughly 1 cup of cooked chicken (shredded in large chunks)
Dash of salt, to taste
1) Put all of the ingredients in a large pot and heat at high.
2) Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
3) Bring the soup back to a rolling boil when you are ready to add the dumplings.
to make Dumplings:
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1) Mix the ingredients in a bowl.
2) Scoop balls of 1 tsp dumpling batter and slide them with a knife into the boiling soup. They do not need to be perfect balls. They will expand as they cook.
3) Let the dumplings simmer in the soup for roughly 10 minutes.
TIP: The dumplings will absorb a lot of liquid. If necessary, add more broth and/or water and season to taste.