3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion , chopped
4 cloves garlic , minced
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes , undrained
3 cups chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini, undrained
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1.5 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces small shell pasta (uncooked)
parmesan cheese , freshly grated (optional)
1) Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot.
2 Add onion and garlic to oil.
3) Sauté for 5 minutes.
4) Stir in tomatoes with liquid, chicken broth, beans, parsley, basil and pepper.
5) Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
6) Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
7) Add pasta.
8) Continue to simmer, covered for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
9) Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you desire.