6 cups of vegetable stock
1 1/2 pounds beef, cubed
4 large dill pickles, chopped
2/3 cup liquid from pickles or water
6 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
14 ozs tomato sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and black pepper
fresh dill, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
1) Place stock in a 5- to 6-quart soup pot. Add beef, pickles and pickle juice.
2) Bring to a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
3) Add potatoes, tomato sauce and sugar.
4) Bring back to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook an additional 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5) Adjust seasonings.
6) Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sprig of fresh dill
Tip: Serve with toasted Rye Bread