36 ozs low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
2 stalks lemongrass , sliced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon anchovy paste as a substitute
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
juice of 3 limes
3 serrano chili peppers , chopped
2 tablespoons ginger , julienned
3 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts , cubed in very small pieces
6 ounces white mushrooms , sliced
1 bunch bok choy , chopped
6 ounces bean thread noodles , presoaked in hot water
1 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
1) In 4qt or larger, heavy-bottomed pot, begin heating chicken broth and coconut milk on low-medium heat.
2) Add the other ingredients for the broth, down through the brown sugar.
3) Bring broth to a slow simmer; never allow it to reach a rolling boil, and do not cover it at any time during cooking.
4) When broth is simmering, begin adding remaining ingredients starting with the chicken. Stir regularly
5) Make sure the chicken is fully cooked by the time you add the cilantro.
6)A fter adding the cilantro, taste the soup and add some additional lime juice as desired to punch up the flavor.
7) Serve immediately.
8) Garnish with cilantro