Number of Servings:
- 1 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 pt heavy cream
Preheat oven to 275°.
- Sift together 1/2 cup of the sugar and cream of tartar.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Gradually add sugar mixture, continuing to beat until blended.
- Use this meringue to line bottom and sides of a well-oiled, 9- or 10-inch pie plate, hollowing center to form a shell.
- Make sure not to spread mixture too close to rim.
- Bake in oven one hour. Cool.
- Beat egg yolks slightly.
- Beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add lemon juice, rind, and salt.
- Cook in top of double boiler over hot water until very thick, stirring constantly (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Whip cream and combine half of it with the lemon custard. Fill cooled shell.
- Cover with remaining whipped cream.
- Chill in refrigerator about 24 hours.
Per serving: 341 Calories, 4 g Protein, 28 g Carbohydrates, 25 g Total fat (14 g sat, 7 g mono, 1 g poly), 94 mg Sodium