Fresh carrot, apple, and nuts add nutrition and keep cake moist
Paleo Desserts by Jane Barthelemy (Da Capo Press, 2012)
- 1⅓ c Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking) or 1 3/4 c Organic Zero Erythritol
- 1 ⅓ c medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (not coconut flour)
- ¼ c arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp unprocessed salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ c chopped nuts, soaked if possible
- ½ c raisins (optional; these are high in sugar)
- 2½ carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (250 grams)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ tart apple, unpeeled, cored, and cut into chunks (100 grams)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 inches fresh ginger, chopped or grated (about 20 grams)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp maple flavoring (optional)
- 1 Tbsp raw yacón syrup (optional, for a caramel flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly dust with coconut flour or arrowroot powder one 9x13-inch pan or two 8-inch round cake pans
- In a dry food processor fitted with the “S” blade, grind the sweetener to a very fine powder.
- Add the shredded coconut to the sweetener in the food processor. Spin it for a minute until a very fine powder. Open the lid, stir the bottom, replace the lid, and grind again until the powder is uniformly fine.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add the arrowroot, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Mix well and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the nuts and raisins (if using) to the bowl, and stir.
- Place in the empty food processor the carrots, eggs, apple, orange zest, ginger, vanilla, maple flavoring (if using), and yacon syrup (if using). Mix well, until the carrot and apple are well liquefied.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir briefly to incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 2 hours in the pan(s) or on a rack.
- Top with Paleo Creme Cheese Frosting.
Follow the recipe above, using a 24-compartment mini-muffin tin. Bake the mini cupcakes for 14 to 18 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan, and then transfer to a rack or serving plate.