Bananas: More Than Just a Flavorful Fruit
Bananas are a fun food. Most of us were introduced to bananas as babies. This yummy potassium- and magnesium-rich food also contains 33 percent of your daily intake of vitamin C. It’s inexpensive and easy to pack in your purse or gym bag, and snack on when needed.
Bananas are also great for DIY organic beauty treatments this time of year as the seasons change. Potassium, the main nutrient in bananas, hydrates cells and helps moisturize hair and skin. I encourage you to take a personal day off for beauty, and just go bananas.
DIY Body Care Products Made With Bananas
Here are a few fun, simple DIY recipes that you can try for hair, face and body.
Moisturizing Banana Hair Mask
This hair mask is perfect for dry and/or curly hair.
- ½ banana
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon of avocado
- Place all ingredients in a blender until creamy.
- Rub into hair, and leave on for 15 to 30 minutes, even up to an hour.
Note: For a more intense moisturizing experience, place a shower cap over your hair.
Moisturizing and Exfoliating Banana Body Scrub
This banana exfoliator will slough off dead skin. The result will be soft, glowing skin that’s smooth to the touch.
- 2 brown bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- olive oil (as needed)
- Mash 2 brown bananas with 1 cup of brown sugar, add olive oil as need to help in blending.
- Use this body scrub in the shower.
Note: Need extra exfoliation? I suggest using dry-brushing beforehand.
Moisturizing Face Mask
I also like to use this as a foot mask sometimes.
- ½ banana
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Mash all ingredients and leave on skin for 5-15 min.
- Rub this on your feet and cover with plastic bags for 5 minutes, after your body scrub.