From Berries by Stephanie Pedersen ($14.95, Sterling, 2016)
- 2 pt blueberries
- 1 1/2 c almond flour
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 c liquid coconut oil
- 1/4 c coconut nectar, honey, or Grade B maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9x11-inch baking pan.
- Place blueberries in baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, pecans, salt, coconut oil, and coconut nectar until crumbly. Scatter mixture across blueberries.
- Bake crumble for 45 to 50 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden brown. If topping browns too quickly, cover loosely with an oven-safe lid.
The fruit in this dessert is unsweetened. Feel free to stir a couple of tablespoons of honey into the berries before placing them in the baking pan. Also, blueberries—and cranberries, too—have plenty of pectin to naturally thicken the crisp’s filling. If you go with another berry, however, gently stir 2 teaspoons of arrowroot into your berries before placing them in the baking pan.