- 2 1/2 lb. beef brisket, thick-cut
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, halved
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit (165° Celsius).
- Rinse brisket. Place in roasting pan.
- Rub basil, salt and pepper into meat.
- Scatter onions and garlic over meat.
- In a medium bowl, mix ketchup, wine and water. Pour over brisket.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil, tenting so that the foil does not touch the meat.
- Bake at 325° Fahrenheit (165° Celsius) for 3 hours, or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the brisket reads 190° for well done.