- 8 oz whole-grain penne pasta
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups chopped pre-cooked chicken sausage links
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Toss squash with oil in a medium bowl. Place squash in a roasting pan. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, until a fork easily pierces through squash.
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk until just boiling. Reduce heat to medium low. Add sage, salt, and pepper. Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Add cornstarch to milk mixture, slowly whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until sauce is smooth.
- Heat sausage over stove or in microwave. Toss with cooked pasta. Fold sauce into pasta mixture. Divide among 4 plates. Garnish each plate with remaining cheese and pecans.