From the Taste for Life test kitchen
- 8 oz whole-grain penne pasta
- 2 c peeled and cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 c grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 c chopped pre-cooked chicken sausage links
- 1/2 c whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Toss squash with oil in a medium bowl. Place squash in a roasting pan. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, until a fork easily pierces through squash.
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk until just boiling. Reduce heat to medium low. Add sage, salt, and pepper. Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Add cornstarch to milk mixture, slowly whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until sauce is smooth.
- Heat sausage over stove or in microwave. Toss with cooked pasta. Fold sauce into pasta mixture. Divide among 4 plates. Garnish each plate with remaining cheese and pecans.
Per serving: 571 Calories, 27 g Protein, 67 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 25 g Total fat (7 g sat), 759 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin A, Phosphorus, ★★★★ Vitamin C, Calcium, Magnesium, ★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), ★★Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B6, Iron, Potassium, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B12, E, K