From Dinner Illustrated by the Editors at America’s Test Kitchen ($32.99, America’s Test Kitchen, 2018), Photo: © America’s Test Kitchen
- 2 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 3 lemons, divided
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes
- Fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (7- to 10-oz) boneless, butterflied whole trout
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans
- Prep vegetables and aromatics: Adjust oven rack to middle position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 450°. Mince shallots and garlic. Mince 4 teaspoons of the rosemary. Rinse capers and then chop. Squeeze 1/4 cup lemon juice from 2 lemons. Cut remaining lemon into wedges. Cut tomatoes in half. Chop 1/4 cup of the parsley.
- Make dressing: Whisk 1/4 cup of the oil, the shallots, garlic, rosemary, capers, and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- Season trout: Pat trout dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil: Add remaining 1/4 cup oil to preheated baking sheet, tilting to coat evenly, and return to oven for 4 minutes.
- Roast trout: Carefully place trout, skin-side down, on hot baking sheet; return to oven and cook until trout flakes apart when gently prodded with a paring knife, 7 to 9 minutes.
By starting with trout that have already been boned and butterflied, you can focus on roasting this rich, flavorful fish and creating a complementary side dish. Adding the trout to a preheated baking sheet in the oven ensures that it will develop a nice crisp skin. Given the trout’s brief roasting time, it is partnered with an equally quick accompaniment: creamy cannellini beans tossed with the bright, fresh flavors of shallots, parsley, lemon juice, capers, rosemary, and garlic. Cannellini beans work well in this salad, but any small white beans will work.
Per serving: 1,162 Calories, 92 g Protein, 142 g Carbohydrates, 36 g Fiber, 28 g Total fat (5 g sat), 538 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), B6, B12, C, D, E, K, Calcium, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, ★★★★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), ★★ Vitamin A