- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 (12 oz) package elbow macaroni pasta*
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups packed sliced baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place cashews in a medium bowl. Cover cashews completely with water and set aside to soak for 2 hours.
- Place squash in a steamer basket set over a pot of boiling water. Cover with a lid. Cook over medium-high heat until squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once cashews have soaked, drain and add them to a high-speed blender along with cooked squash, almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, dry mustard, paprika, and cornstarch. Blend until smooth.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan set over medium heat. Add spinach and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Transfer cashew and butternut squash mixture to pan with spinach. Stir until sauce is heated through and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir to combine. Serve.
*To make this dish gluten free, use gluten-free pasta.
338 Calories, 17 g Protein, 57 g Carbohydrates, 5 g Fiber, 8 g Total fat (1 g sat), 249 mg Sodium, ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, B12, K, ★ ★ ★ ★ Magnesium, ★ ★ ★ Vitamin A, Phosphorus, Zinc, ★ ★ Vitamin C, E, Iron, Folate, ★ Calcium, Potassium