- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- Dash salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 large cucumber, diced neatly
- 1 small bell pepper, diced neatly
- 1 BPA-free can organic black beans
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped into a chiffonade
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa through a sieve till the water runs clear. Transfer it to a small or medium sized pot and add two cups of vegetable broth or water and dash of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot so that the lid is on, but there’s a small gap where water can escape. Simmer till quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid and is fluffy (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl. Add chopped vegetables, black beans, and herbs.
- Whisk dressing ingredients. Add the dressing to the salad, and serve. (If you don’t feel that you need all the dressing, just add as much as you’d like to.)
- Salad will keep for three days in the fridge.