- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, ends trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Spray large skillet with canola oil cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts, if desired, dried sage, salt, and pepper. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.