From Complete Curry Cookbook by Byron Ayanoglu and Jennifer MacKenzie
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp gingerroot, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup red lentils (masoor dal), rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup torn cilantro leaves
- Garam masala
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, salt, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils until coated with spices. Stir in coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, scraping up bits stuck to pan and stirring to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until lentils are very soft and mixture is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Stir in all but a few leaves of cilantro. Serve sprinkled with remaining cilantro and garam masala.
Per serving: 314 Calories, 6 g Protein, 12 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 28 g Total fat (20 g sat, 6 g mono, 1 g poly), 412 mg Sodium