- A large, fresh apple – the bigger, the better because they shrink
- A vegetable peeler (for peeling and carving)
- A paring knife or pumpkin-carving kit (a toothpick is also useful)
- 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of salt
- Eyes: apple seeds, dried beans or peas, or raisins
- Teeth: uncooked rice or barley
- An adult to do the peeling and cutting for you
- Carefully peel the apple and dip it in the lemon juice mixed with the salt. Pat the apple dry.
- Carve out eyes, nose, ears, and a mouth. The tip of a vegetable peeler is good for making eyes.
- Place the head in a dry spot, but not in direct sunlight. You can hang it by the stem with a string if you want. In a few weeks, it will be dry and shrunken, and ready to “face” the world!
- Carefully add eyes and teeth, and even yarn or cotton “hair” if you like. You can even make a body with a clothespin or pipe cleaners, and dress your doll.
- Give him or her a name. We like “Mac” for boys and “Granny Smith” for girls!