Gluten-Free Grilled Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp unrefined cane sugar
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/8 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus additional for oiling hands and crust
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Add water to a small bowl. Stir in yeast and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Using a whisk, mix sorghum flour, almond flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and the vinegar to yeast mixture. Using an electric hand mixer, slowly add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Mix for 5 minutes. Dough will be sticky.
- Oil a 10 by 10 inch piece of unbleached parchment paper. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Scrape dough from bowl onto parchment paper.
- Oil your hands well with oil. Using oiled hands, shape dough into an 8-inch circle. Prick dough a few times with a fork. Set dough aside to rise, uncovered, in a warm, draft-free area for 30 minutes. (Dough will expand to approximately 9 inches in diameter.)
- Heat grill to Medium. Have pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil ready near grill.
- Carefully brush top of crust with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Take parchment paper with pizza crust still attached to it, and flip it onto grill so oiled side of pizza is face down on grill and parchment paper side is face up. Using a pair of metal tongs, slowly peel parchment paper away from crust. Discard parchment paper.
- When underside of crust begins to blister and brown, flip it. (This can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on type of grill.)
- Quickly spread tomato sauce over crust. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Grill pizza for about 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is cooked through.
- Using a grill spatula, carefully slide pizza off grill and onto a serving platter. Garnish with basil, cut into slices, and serve.
This pizza recipe makes a soft and chewy crust that can be topped with any of your favorite toppings.