Fresh Corn Pancakes with Lime Drizzle
- 6 Tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour
- 6 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup 1 percent milk
- 4 tsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (1 medium ear)
- 1 medium scallion, green part only, very thinly sliced
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp honey, preferably wildflower
- 1 to 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to beat egg. Add milk and melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones, mixing until combined but small lumps still remain. Stir in corn and scallion greens.
- In a small bowl, use a hand or electric mixer to beat egg white until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg white into pancake batter.
- Coat a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, generously with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. When drops of water flicked into pan bounce, re-stir pancake batter. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop down to bottom of bowl and dip out about 3 tablespoons batter. Pour batter onto skillet. Repeat, placing pancakes about 3 inches apart. Cook until bubbles dot pancakes, edges look opaque, and bottoms are nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Flip pancakes and brown lightly on second side. Transfer pancakes to platter and cover to keep warm.
- For drizzle: In a small, clean bowl, whisk honey and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice together until combined. If syrup is too sweet, add more lime juice to taste. Serve pancakes with honey-lime drizzle.
Start your morning off right with these light and easy pancakes. Fresh corn adds a subtle sweetness. Combining whole-wheat and all-purpose flour is a fun cooking hack that enhances the nutrition without changing the flavor and texture. The lime and honey syrup adds a fresh and zesty kick.
Per serving (3 pancakes): 202 Calories, 7 g Protein, 32 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Fiber, 6 g Total fat (3 g sat), 194 mg Sodium, ★ Vitamin A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), K, Phosphorus