Grilled Chicken & Veggies with Avocado Salsa
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lb)
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 to 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes (10 to 12 oz each), cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 red, orange, and/or yellow peppers, each cut into quarters
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped jicama (10 to 12 oz)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus additional leaves for garnish
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (ground red) pepper
- Preheat large ridged grill pan or prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat.
- Pound chicken to an even 1/2 inch thickness. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
- From limes, grate 1 1/2 teaspoons of peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons of juice. In a small bowl, combine peel, 1 tablespoon juice, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Brush tomatoes and peppers with oil mixture and place on hot grill pan on rack. Place chicken on pan or rack. Cook chicken and vegetables 8 to 9 minutes, turning over once. Vegetables should be browned and tender. Chicken breasts should be browned on both sides and no longer pink throughout; instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into thickest part should register 165°.
- While vegetables and chicken are grilling, in medium bowl, stir together avocado, jicama, cilantro, cayenne, and remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt and 2 tablespoons lime juice. (Makes 2 1/2 cups salsa.)
- Serve chicken and vegetables with avocado salsa; garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
330 Calories, 20 g Protein, 15 g Carbohydrates, 7 g Fiber, 20 g Total fat, 435 mg Sodium. Good source of Vitamin C, Niacin, and Vitamins A, B6 & K