Shrimp Tacos with Tomatillo-Sunflower Salsa Verde
- 1 1/4 lb medium shrimp* (30 to 35 count), peeled and deveined**
- 1/4 cup Tomatillo-Sunflower Salsa Verde, plus 2 to 4 Tbsp per taco for serving
- 8 (8 to 10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions (include both white and green parts), thinly sliced, or 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Combine shrimp and 1/4 cup of the salsa verde in a medium bowl and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes per side.***
- Transfer cooked shrimp to a serving bowl. Serve with tortillas, avocados, scallions, tomatoes, lettuce, and extra pesto to drizzle. Let diners fill their own soft tacos.
This is also a wonderful way to serve a salad—all wrapped up in a soft tortilla.
* The most sustainable choice for shrimp is US farmed. Good alternatives are wild Canadian and wild US shrimp varieties and Ecuador- and Honduras-farmed shrimp. Avoid other imported sources.
** If you are buying shrimp with shells, look for those labeled “easy peel,” which are already slit and deveined.
*** Feel free to substitute steamed shrimp for pan-grilled shrimp if you prefer. Simply marinate them longer so they absorb the flavors of the salsa verde.
446 Calories, 28 g Protein, 41 g Carbohydrates, 13 g Fiber, 22 g Total fat (3 g sat), 842 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin C, K, Phosphorus, ★★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), B6, Magnesium, Potassium, ★★ Vitamin A, B12, E, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), Calcium, Iron
Tomatillo-Sunflower Salsa Verde
With just the right amount of spice, this Tomatillo-Sunflower Salsa Verde makes everything nice!