Hot Brown Rice Cereal with Dried Fruits
Everyday Gluten-Free Slow Cooking © 2012 by Kimberly Mayone and Kitty Broihier, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
- 3 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup Japanese medium-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 Tbsp dried currants
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Toasted almonds or walnuts (optional)
- Light cream (optional)
- Stir together all ingredients except nuts and cream in slow cooker crock. Cover and cook 1 hour on LOW (or 30 minutes on HIGH). Stir and then cover and cook an additional 7 hours on LOW (or 3–3 1/2 hours on HIGH).
- Stir cereal well before serving. Garnish cereal with nuts and a touch of cream, if desired.