Cranberry Vanilla Quinoa
5 minutes prep time, 6-8 hours slow cook time | Serves 2
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 21/2 cup vanilla-flavored almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or scrape 1/4 tsp vanilla paste from a split whole vanilla bean
- 1/8 tsp stevia (optional)
- Slivered almonds, for serving
- The night before: Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer to remove bitter coating. Oil crock of your slow cooker. Combine quinoa, milk, cranberries, applesauce, vanilla, and stevia in slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- In the morning: Stir quinoa, and taste and adjust seasonings, or add more liquid. Top with slivered almonds.
From The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester ($19.99, Fair Winds, 2011) [PHOTO credit: Bill Bettencourt]