Pumpkin Spinach Quesadillas
Are you looking for a different way to use pumpkin this season?
20 minutes prep time + roasting time: Serves 6
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 small onions, chopped into eighths
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 6 large whole-wheat tortillas
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Fresh baby spinach
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss pumpkin, garlic, and onions with olive oil. Layer in a large baking dish and drizzle with maple syrup. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Stir once, then continue baking for another 20 minutes or until all ingredients are soft and slightly browned. Let cool. If making filling ahead of time, store in an airtight, refrigerated container.
For the quesadillas
- Heat a large nonstick pan to medium-high heat. Place one tortilla in the pan.
- Once the tortilla has heated, sprinkle with 1/6 of the cheese.
- Layer a third of the pumpkin mixture over the tortilla. Layer on spinach, then sprinkle with more cheese. Top with a second tortilla, pressing lightly to compress the quesadilla.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and heat through until cheese has melted.
- When tortilla is lightly brown, flip and brown other side. When done, remove from pan and cut into wedges. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.