Grilling Vegan Style, by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2012. Photo by Amy Beadle Roth.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, well washed
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sunflower seeds, lightly
- toasted *(see toasting directions)
- 2 tsp pine nuts, lightly toasted *(see toasting directions)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Carve the romaine lettuce in half lengthwise. Leave the stem on, to hold the leaves together. Rub the lettuce halves all over with the olive oil.
- Grill the lettuce halves for about 3 minutes per side, or until grill marks begin to appear.
- Divide between two serving plates; sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar, then with the toasted sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Salt and pepper the lettuce to taste, and serve.
To toast sunflower seeds and pine nuts:
- In a dry cast-iron skillet over medium heat, place one layer of sunflower seeds.
- Lightly toast the seeds, shaking the skillet every 30 seconds, until they begin to brown.
- Repeat with the remaining sunflower seeds, then the pine nuts.