Coconut macaroon tart shells:
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Homemade whipped cream
To make the coconut tartlets:
- Combine the coconut, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg whites in a bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into greased mini muffin tins.
- Press the coconut mixture into the bottom of the pan and up the sides to form a thin crust.
- Bake the macaroon tart shells at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until the edges are browned. (Be careful not to over bake them.)
- Let them cool for a couple of minutes on a wire rack.
- Gently run a knife around the edges to loosen the tart shells from the pan and then remove them from the muffin tins.
- Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store the macaroon tart shells in a sealed container.
Note: They can be made in advance.
To assemble the tartlets:
- Spoon homemade whipped cream into the coconut macaroons and top each tartlet with desired amount of blueberries. Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.
44 Calories, 2.2 g Fat, 5.9 g Carbohydrates, 0.6 g Dietary Fiber, 4.4 g Sugars, 5.7 mg Sodium, 0 mg Cholesterol, 0.7 g Protein
Itsy Bitsy Foodies
Itsy Bitsy Foodies is an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu. They offer tips to help kids become more adventurous eaters, getting them involved in the kitchen and introducing them to new and exciting ingredients. They feel strongly that getting kids involved in meal choices and cooking at an early age will help them make smarter eating and lifestyle choices, and ideally help to reverse the fast food trend.