Taste for Life test kitchen
- 1 loaf of dairy-free, gluten-free bread, chopped into 1-inch cubes (about 9 c)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for oiling casserole dish
- 1⁄4 c minced shallots
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1⁄2-inch dice
- 1 c walnuts, chopped
- 2 c apple cider
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set gluten-free bread cubes out overnight on a baking sheet, so they can dry out a bit.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Oil the bottom and sides of a large glass casserole dish with oil.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add celery and sauté for 4 minutes. Add apples, walnuts, and apple cider and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to oiled casserole dish. Add bread cubes, sage, thyme, lightly beaten eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Gently combine until all the bread is moistened.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until stuffing is browned and crispy on top.
The eggs in this recipe help bind the ingredients together, while adding richness, moistness, and flavor to the stuffing.
Per serving: 253 Calories, 6 g Protein, 37 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 10 g Total fat (1 g sat), 399 mg Sodium, ★ Vitamin K, ★ Phosphorus, ★ Potassium