A Century of Flavor by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas ($27.95, Favorite Recipes Press, 2008)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon dried organic basil
- 2 tablespoons dried organic oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until brown and crumbly, stirring constantly. Remove the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan drippings and sauté until golden brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the sausage, celery salt, basil, oregano, bay leaf, sugar, vanilla extract, salt and pepper. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Simmer for hours to blend the flavors.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve over your favorite pasta, prepared al dente.