Summer Gatherings by Rick Rodgers
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed under a knife and peeled
- 1/3 c pine nuts, walnuts , or almonds 1/2 c (2 oz) freshly grated Parmesan or Romano, or a combination
- 3 c packed fresh basil leaves, well rinsed and dried in a salad spinner
- 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to cover pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- With the machine running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor. Add nuts and cheese, and process until nuts are finely chopped. Add the basil. With machine running, gradually add oil, scraping down the sides of the work bowl as needed to make a thick paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer pesto to a shallow container and smooth the mixture. Pour a thin film of olive oil over pesto to inhibit discoloration. Cover container and refrigerate until ready to use. (The pesto can be stored for up to 3 weeks, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.)