- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cubed)
- 1 14.5-oz can chicken broth
- 12 ounce evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, salt, and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- Sauté onion, ginger and jalapeno in butter in a large pot. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add squash and chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer until the squash is tender - about 30 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk, coconut milk, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes more.
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel and carefully puree soup. Puree in batches until smooth.
- Serve in small bowls and garnish with sour cream and thyme.