Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. is a board certified internist and author of the popular free iPhone application “Cures A-Z,” which was ranked in the top 10 of all health/wellness downloads on iTunes. Dr. Teitelbaum is the author of the perennial bestseller From Fatigued to Fantastic! (Avery Penguin), which has sold over half a million copies; Pain Free 1-2-3 (McGraw-Hill); Three Steps to Happiness: Healing Through Joy (Deva Press); the Beat Sugar Addiction Now! series (Fair Winds Press); Real Cause, Real Cure (Rodale Press); The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution (Penguin/Avery); and his latest, The Complete Guide to Beating Sugar Addiction (Fair Winds Press, 2015).
Natural remedies can dramatically decrease most kinds of arthritis pain and improve function. This is especially important because arthritis medications unnecessarily kill an estimated 30,000 Americans yearly (16,500 from bleeding ulcers and a 50+ percent increase in heart attacks and strokes). Fortunately, arthritis pain is very treatable naturally — with many natural options being as, or more, effective than the medications.
Natural remedies can dramatically decrease most kinds of arthritis pain and improve function. Give them 6 weeks. You will be amazed at how much better you feel and, although you should stay on a multi-nutrient powder forever, if you want you can lower the dose of the other treatments (as able).
The first 4 nutrients help joints to heal and rebuild. The last 2 decrease inflammation. Give the program 6 weeks to work.
STEP 1: FEED YOUR JOINTS
- Multi-nutrient powder: Take a daily dose of a good multi-nutrient powder (as directed).
- Glucosamine sulfate: 750 mg 2x day.
- MSM: MSM 2,500 mg/day.
STEP 2: TURN OFF INFLAMMATION
Several herbal mixes are excellent. These can be taken with arthritis medications and can also be taken with Mix #1 and #2 below.
- Mix #1: Willow bark and Boswellia: Take a mix of willow bark, Boswellia (frankincense) and cherry. This is more effective than ibuprofen.
- Mix #2: BCM 95 Curcumin and Boswellia: Called Healthy Knees and Joints (by EuroPharma), this mix was shown to be over twice as effective as Celebrex in a recent head-to-head study.
- Fish oil: If you have inflammatory arthritis (red, swollen joints, as in rheumatoid arthritis) add fish oil (1 teaspoon or 3 capsules 2-3 times a day for 6 weeks, then once a day).
- Calcium: If osteoporosis is present, add calcium.
- Medications: The above supplements can be taken with your prescription pain medications. If you are on the blood thinner Coumadin, however, consult with a holistic physician before taking these or any herbals.
- Minocycline (for infections): If you have rheumatoid arthritis, the inflammation is often being triggered by your body fighting a hidden infection, and I recommend that long term antibiotic treatment with Minocycline (Minocin — a tetracycline antibiotic) be added (see Rheumatoid Arthritis).
STEP 3: EXCERCISE AND STRETCHING
Walking (in a pool, if it is too painful on the ground) is good exercise for arthritis below your waist. If you have decreased flexibility, put heat on the affected joints (herbal "beanbags" that can be heated in the microwave are very good for this). After 5-10 minutes in the heat, slowly and gently move the joints (as able) to reclaim your full range of motion. Do this 2-3 times a day until your joints are limber.
STEP 4: FOR STUBBORN CASES
Acupressure (for food allergies): If symptoms persist despite these treatments, look for and treat food allergies with a special form of acupressure called NAET. An elimination diet can help you tell if Food Allergies are a problem.