Roasted Raw Chocolate Granola
Chocolate: 90 Sinful and Sumptuous Indulgences by Elisabeth Johansson ($24.95, Sterling Publishing Co., 2014)
- 5 oz hazelnuts
- 1 1/4 cups plain oat flakes or rolled oats
- 3/4 cup spelt flakes or oats
- 3/4 cup whole flaxseeds
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 c dried blueberries, cranberries, or raisins
- 5 oz raw chocolate (70% or 100%), chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until the thin skins begin to crack. Transfer hazelnuts to a clean dish towel and rub off skins.
- Stir oats, seeds, and hazelnuts together and spread them over the baking tray. Whisk oil, water, and honey together and drizzle mixture over granola. Toss mixture to coat, and roast on middle rack of oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir now and then so that mixture doesn’t burn but becomes a light golden-brown color.
- Let granola cool and then dry, uncovered, on the baking sheet overnight.
- Stir in dried berries and chopped chocolate. Granola can be kept at room temperature in glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.