Reprinted with permission from Magpie © 2015 by Holly Ricciardi, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.
- 1 recipe Magpie Dough for Flaky Piecrust, chilled overnight
- 2 lb sweet-tart apples (such as Honeycrisp or Gala), peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 oz fresh cranberries
- 2 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- Roll and pan dough for bottom crust as directed in Piecrust recipe that follows. Roll and cut six 2-inch-wide lattice strips for lattice top from second disk of dough and place strips on a baking sheet. Transfer pan with crust and baking sheet with strips to refrigerator and chill dough while you make filling.
- Preheat oven to 400° with a rack in the center. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss apples and cranberries with orange zest and orange juice. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts. Sprinkle sugar mixture over fruit and toss to coat fruit and moisten sugar and cornstarch so that no dry white streaks remain.
- Retrieve prepared bottom crust from refrigerator, set pan on parchment-lined baking sheet and evenly layer apples into pie shell with your hands, keeping top of filling flat and level (not peaked). Moisten the top edge of shell with any fruit juices remaining in the bowl.
- Fetch dough strips from fridge to form lattice top for pie. Begin weaving lattice by laying 3 strips vertically across filling. Fold back two outer strips halfway and add dough strip horizontally across center of pie so that it crosses flat strip. Swap folded and unfolded vertical strips and add a second horizontal strip across flat strips. Repeat once more with remaining strip to complete lattice. Pinch two edges of dough together, roll outward and under to form a ledge, and tuck edge inside lip of pie pan. Crimp edge all the way around. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water. Lightly brush lattice with egg wash.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake pie 25 minutes at 400°. Lower oven temperature to 350°, rotate baking sheet, and bake 25 to 30 minutes more, or until lattice is golden and fruit is tender (tip of a small knife can easily be inserted into fruit through spaces in lattice) and juices are bubbling up through lattice. Tent top with foil if crust starts to over-brown.
- Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and let pie cool and set uncovered, at room temperature, overnight (or up to 3 days) before slicing and serving. Serve at room temperature, or rewarmed in a 425° oven
259 Calories, 2 g Protein, 41 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 10 g Total fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono, 3 g poly), 124 mg Sodium, Good source of: Vitamin C, Copper, Fair source of: Vitamin B6, Manganese