- Cooking oil spray
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large head of broccoli, florets only (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small cauliflower, cut in 1 1/2 inch florets (2 to 3 cups)
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red-skin potato, diced
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cut in 6 wedges
- 1 small zucchini, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in 1-1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- mixture of:
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray. On one sheet, place the garlic, bell pepper, broccoli florets, cauliflower, fennel, potato, shallots, tomato, and zucchini. Coat liberally with cooking spray, stir, and spray again. Place the acorn squash and carrot pieces on the second sheet and toss with the oil. Bake the vegetables 15 minutes. Stir and bake 10 minutes longer, or until slightly soft and lightly colored.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large, deep saucepan. Add the spice mixture and 3 cups of cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Stir in milk. Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped tomato.
111 Calories, 5 g Protein, 18 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 3 g Total fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono, 1 g poly), 72 mg Sodium, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, B12, D, E, Folate, Pantothenic acid, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium