- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 6 cups broccoli florets and peeled, diced stalks (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper, for serving
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add leeks and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until wilted.
- Stir in garlic, broccoli, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Pour in broth, raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Transfer soup to a blender, in batches if necessary, and puree until smooth. Gently reheat soup to serving temperature. Alternatively, puree soup directly in the pot with an immersion blender. (The soup can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered, and refrigerated until ready to reheat.)
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with some pepper and chives, and serve hot.