Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Cafe by Joy Pierson, Angel Ramos and Jorge Pineda ($22.99, Ten Speed Press, 2014)
- 3 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 red apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped roasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper and toss together. Transfer to a roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil. Roast for about 20 minutes, until just tender.
- Remove from oven, discard foil, and sprinkle shallots over sprouts. Roast for an additional 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- To make dressing, combine oil, vinegar, maple syrup, water, cayenne pepper, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add parsley and thyme, and whisk together.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, apple slices, cranberries, and almonds in a large bowl. Add dressing, toss together, and serve.